History History St John Emmaus

    In January of 1876, approximately sixty people of the Reformed faith organized a Reformed congregation in Emaus. The young congregations of the Reformed and Lutherans faiths consecrated a union in early 1882.
   The two congregations dedicated their new church located at the corner of North Third Street and Green Alley on November 12, 1882. Our congregation worshipped there for thirty-eight years and then built a new large Gothic structure made of Seisholtzville granite at the corner of North Fourth Street and North Streer. Dedication for the new building was on May 4, 1924. 
   In June of 1934, the Reformed Church merged with the Evangelical Synod of North America forming the Evangelical Reformed Church. Then in June of 1957, another merger took place with the Congregational Christian Churches forming the United Church of Christ.
With a growing Membership, the congregation decided to erect a Christian Education wing in 1963. 
   On Sunday, January 19, 2003, the congregation celebrated the completion of the $1.9 million renovation project with a dedication program.

Senior Pastors

Rev. Alfred J.G. Dubbs - 1876-1886

Rev. Charles E. Schaeffer - 1892-1896

Rev. P.A. Delong - 1897-1899

Rev. Joseph P. Bachman - 1900-1908

Rev. John B. Stoudt - 1909-1911

Rev. Daniel E. Schaeffer - 1911-1937

Rev. Royce E. Schaeffer - 1938-1968

Rev. David H. Knoebel - 1969-1985

Rev. Glenn A. Hagen - 1987-1989

Rev. Dr. William C. Fenstermacher 1993-2002

Rev. Dr. Paul W. Knappenberger 2005- present